Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Ahh, the marriage chat.

Happy Tuesday, friends :)

Hope your week has started off well - mine is still going well. I am determined not to let my frustration ruin the exciting week ahead. I decided yesterday that I not only want to work towards losing all my weight - but that I want to simultaneously eliminate fear of running from my life. See, I grew up in a fairly active family. Always hitting the gym, suggesting long walks after dinner or big holiday meals. My husband - didn't grow up with this. His family is not active in any shape. That I have seen or witnessed. So - he doesn't really understand or appreciate my intention and effort to want to run a 10K this December. He feels it is stupid and a time waster. Soooo - instead of getting frustrated which I admit - I still kind of am. I wanted to take a moment to appreciate my marriage.

I feel like I have the best of both worlds - ya know? Most of the time my husband & I are a great team. We support each other, we commute together - we're together ALOT. But in moments like these - I really have to turn over a new leaf - kind of like when I was 13 and I looooved Backstreet Boys but everybody & their mother looooved N'Sync & I had to learn to love both. So in this case - I am really trying to not be a total girl and get emotionally frustrated.

What is so wrong about having a bucket list. For my entire life - I've literally hated & I mean, HATED - running. I have a bigger chest than most girls and that kind of is really noticeable when you're running. I feel like yes, a 5K is silly to pay for to run 3 miles but a 10K is really putting the skills to a test - its 6.2 miles of complete determination. I just feel like marriage is a two way street. When I was a little girl - I grew up with dreams and some of them fizzled - but I feel like its important to have your dreams and to work towards them no matter if you think you're stupid. He thinks that me running a 10K is stupid. Well I think some of his hobbies are the same.

Which leads me to my bigger topic - marriage.



Marriage isn't something to play around with. I feel like it's gotten a really bad rap in the last 10 or so years. I am not even pointing at the politics that surrounds this issue. Marriage is not for the weak or for the demanding. The women who portray marriage or whatever relationship they have on shows like Real Housewives or other reality crap - is that they don't have a marriage - they have like a weird agreement that doesn't really portray what marriage is or is supposed to be. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and marriage - but I feel like when people watch Real Housewives with fake women - that you're getting the airbrushed/photoshopped versions. My marriage is not always pretty, as you can tell from my husband telling me that running in a 10K is stupid or that my Pinterest projects aren't worth the $/effort because they usually don't turn out right. But marriage isn't supposed to be pretty. It's not supposed to be the fairy tale that Disney wants us to believe. You have your ups, downs & in between moments that can't be summarized by the 'happily ever after' promise.

There is no such thing has 'happily ever after.' Because that just insinuates that you're both robots or not human. You will be happy and when you're with the best person for yourself - you have opportunities to enjoy life together - whether its going to theme parks, or traveling the world one cruise at a time or raising your own family. But I just can't stress enough that sometimes there will be tension, stress, tears or all three - but at the end of the day - all will be okay.

So while I wish I married the male version of myself - I realize that we just have more compromising to do. I want to run - he doesn't. I loooove Gilmore GIrl marathons, he will never watch more than one without realizing something to do. But it just means - we're in love, and just totally different.

Ps. I've actually been working and accomplishing some of my goals for the month. :) Take care. Join me tomorrow as I link up for Girl Between the Lines...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my page and am more grateful for your comment. Be blessed.