Monday, October 20, 2014

Why it's important to go off the grid. #dearladies

Happy Monday, friends. Today I am sharing another post in my #dearladies series which happens EVERY single Monday for the sole purpose of not letting the joy of Monday shake us, as well as inspiring + encouraging women.

Maybe you can empathize or possibly relate with me on this one. Social media is a powerful tool for businesses and for you + me in our everyday lives. It captures our weekends, memories we don't want to forget and well our blogs (if you so happen to have one.)  But sometimes it gets to be too much to keep up with. It is constant. It is always refreshed and sometimes you go on there for a few minutes but before you know it - you get distracted. You could end up spending hours or all day on the social media sites. Don't you miss the 90's when we didn't have this much technology that sometimes clogs up our lives too much?

When did you first get into social media? Did you get into it because you had heard about it from a friend?  I heard about Facebook when I was attending college locally. I would see other students log in, and due to my non existent car situation (I rode the bus everywhere), I would people watch and see these people's lives become consumed by a website. (Please note: This was my first impression of this website - in 2006.)

I don't want to come off seeming that technology hasn't changed my life for the better. When I moved around a bunch, I didn't have any way to keep in touch with friends/family other than traditional snail mail. Which when you're seven - you're not exactly breaking bank at all to pay for postage or know where your friends live - in the 90's. When I was older, it enabled me a way to look for jobs after high school/college/grad school, to find my first apartment and eventually to meet my husband.

But when does it become too much? The answer to that is up to you, my friend. For me personally, I have a personal preference of when I go on certain sites. I use some to post my blog links. I use one for pictures. I use this site for my blogs. I check email. But I've dialed my use of technology back. I refuse to let it consume my life. I changed the setting on my phone to where I don't want notification of when I get messages/anything on my sites so that I feel like my phone is blowing up constantly or my life is interrupted by non essential things. I also don't use it if I am at date night or with family.

So I've come to the realization or the epiphany that while there are some pretty cool items out there - I am perfectly okay with going off the grid mostly (internet/techy speaking). There are days when I keep my phone on vibrate in my room and I don't bother with it. I will listen to my Pandora and just start writing or watch Netflix but there is just so much more to life than watching social media like a hawk.


Spend time with family/friends. Go to a coffee shop, the beach, theme park, etc. Scrapbook. This weekend I went off the grid completely. I literally deep cleaned my kitchen for 3 hours. Pulling our pans/pots and the like out of cabinets, cleaning the cabinets & sanitizing while finally organizing everything. I slept better and I couldn't care less what was happening on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or anything because my kitchen looked great and that was the big important part to me.

How has technology changed your life? Do you have days or time blocked out to go off the grid? Thanks for stopping by. Hope your Monday is going well. :) ~ Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my page and am more grateful for your comment. Be blessed.