Thursday, May 22, 2014

Staring my goals in the face.

May is a month of chapters in my life. It has been the month where chapters closed, followed by open windows of new ones emerging. This year is the 10th anniversary when all of my big dreams were birthed. I was celebrating my graduation from high school. I knew that moment on May 28th, 2004 that my life was truly about to start for real. No matter all the crappy cards that I had been dealt those four years, this part of my life was over and the real, better silver lining that my parents had told me about was ready to show itself.


After high school, I started the newer chapter of my life. I started college out of state, while I only stayed at that college for 18 months, it was a huge learning experience. I really understood myself - in terms of what I dislike, what I like and what I wanted to do with my life while in college. I moved back home with my parents and took a year to attend the local community college to get those gen ed's out of the way. It wasn't mentally challenging because the workload felt like an extension of high school but by the following January when I made the decision to stay in-state, I was able to transfer a lot of credits in. I started with education, but made the switch (I regret it now) to communications, which I do like my degree. 


I remember May 2nd, 2009. I had spent the night before prepping my hair so it'd be curly. My mom made me a dress that's sparkly and butterflies. It was a fantastic day to spend with friends & family. 6 weeks after I graduated, I met my now husband. I was involved in an internship that would prove to be heading nowhere. My now husband was finishing an internship at Disney in the College Program, and about to start his final semester at college. I was ready for an adventure, the kind that changes your life in an instant. That adventure was my now husband. I surprised my parents by announcing, hey I'm moving to Kansas. I moved into my first apartment, I got a job (that I loved!) and started grad school while being with the man I loved. I only was there for a year but in that time we knew what our goals were: we wanted to be together with many adventures. We wanted to finish our degrees, get married, buy a house, start a family & the list goes on. [Before I moved I had lost 25 lbs, and then when I moved on my own - I gained it back and some more.]

We're about to celebrate our third wedding anniversary. I can't believe how fast time has flown by. We've really accomplished a lot of FANTASTIC goals. We bought our first house six months after we got married, which our wedding gifts helped with our down payment. We both graduated with our graduate degrees, months apart last year. We've worked on our house and made significant improvements. Last year, we put a big dent towards our student loans before we were required and are on the way to being debt free down the road. 


Tonight - however was staring down my goals. I've mentioned this before but I've had hypothyroidism my entire life. This condition goes against weight loss, and its definitely been a struggle in my life. Two years ago when I started my weight loss journey for the sole purpose of getting healthy - I lost 40 lbs fast. Now, with my remaining 75 lbs to lose - its proving to be a challenge. But this month - I decided I needed to make time for my goals. I stare at them in the face, I count calories, I force myself to portion size my meals and I only allow myself two cheat days/week. I'm learning how to really tone down stress, its hurt me in reaching my goals. But tonight I started a new workout routine, 40 minutes of Zumba at the Expert level followed by Jillian Michaels. My goals are simple - my husband is ready to be a daddy and I really want to give that to him next fall. So, I had to step my goals up, and I am excited because I am ready to enjoy life more fully.

I was thinking of this post while working out and I felt like its important to share my goals from where I started until the present moment. My big goal right now is to just lose the weight, as close to 50 lbs by my birthday in October. I am celebrating my birthday at the beach and with friends/family but I'd really like to be able to buy a new bathing suit as a birthday gift to me. Living in Florida, I can always find a good bathing suit sale - so I am excited to meet the goal for myself. 

What about you? What are the goals you're staring at right now to accomplish? Big or small - know that you can do it! Every time it feels like too much - I quote both Philippians 4:13 & Jeremiah 29:11 over and over. 

Thank God tomorrow is Thursday! I'm so excited for the long holiday weekend ahead! See you back here tomorrow! ~ Jessica




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my page and am more grateful for your comment. Be blessed.