Wednesday, December 11, 2013

TGBTL Week #2: Favorite Holiday things

To be honest, I've been excited to share since last week's post. For those who are just stopping by my blog - welcome. Each Wednesday, I am posting in 'The Girl Between the Lines' linkup started by two ladies that I am excited to get to know more. Check out more information here if you'd like to join us today or each week! Today's prompt is my favorite holiday things which I do not mind sharing at all. :) There are quite a few of them so I will try to pick my absolute favorites so you're not reading a riveting post as long as War & Peace.

My first one to share of favorite holiday gifts is the time with my family. Now that I am married with a little family of my own and living on my own - I don't feel like I see my family enough. Granted my mom is my best friend & they live 30 minutes away but still - I absolutely love that as long as I can remember - the holidays bring my family together each year. When I am with them on Christmas Day, we have our traditions that we've always had - the sibling picture in front of the Christmas tree, my mom makes cinnamon rolls, mini ones to resemble a Christmas tree & before any gifts are opened - we dive into our stockings. :) This year feels just as special because of the recent loss in my family. A week ago, 12/5, my great grandma who was 98 years young went to be with Jesus. I gratefully got to be with family last week in Ohio to celebrate her, her incredible legacy and the fact that she's reunited with her Creator for eternity. :)




Secondly, I love to use this time to reflect on what God has blessed me with this year, in the good and bad. I feel that so many attempt those 'New Year' resolutions to try to change something about themselves -- these 'resolution' ideas only last until March, maybe. I like to sit and reflect with a cup of hot chocolate/mini marshmallows on top and appreciate what I've gleaned from this year. I've never had a year that was absolutely perfect  or that I got exactly what I wanted. My parents taught me while growing up to appreciate everything, whether good or bad. I really do appreciate the life that I have because it feels like something in my life is always changing, and sometimes I don't even notice it until months down the road. I would say that this year - I appreciate the relationships in my life - with my husband, my family, my friends - because when I need them, they're always on hand to support me.


While I could list many more -- I am going to end it with simply decorating inside & out for Christmas. I get so excited for the day after Thanksgiving because its when we pull out our tree, ornaments, lights, garland, the masses of wrapping paper & all those gifts that I already bought -- next year I am waiting longer to buy Christmas gifts. But it truly is my favorite time because C & I usually do the decorating first around the house - this year we put up garland around the house, bought extra Glade scents so we can walk in our house & smell pine trees & really feel more Christmas-y. Since we live in Florida, we don't get to enjoy snow or cold weather - we just get 365 days of humidity and killer heat. It's nice for beach days but not so much on Christmas day. Doesn't make it feel like Christmas when its 85 & you're all sweaty ;) I digress. My husband knows & appreciates that whenever we go on vacation -- I save to buy an ornament as a keepsake of our trip. We have an ornament from the Alamo from our honeymoon to the Riverwalk/San Antonio, TX. We have two 'first home' ones from my parents & grandparents when we closed on our house in 2011. This year we are adding the one from the Bahamas & one from our cruise ship. There are tons of ornaments from my childhood on my tree and I just love to remember the memories each Christmas.


Hope you've had a great week thus far, I had today off with my hubs. Thank God for nice weather & Universal passes. :)

Be blessed. -- Jessica

2 comments:

  1. Love all of these, Jessica!! I totally relate to getting together with family, relishing the Christmas spirit, and the decorating!! It's just a happy time of year--and one that pushes me to be thankful!! Thanks for linking up with us again:) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciating the good and bad in life is such a great lesson to learn! I also love looking back over the last year and the journey that we took in just one short year! It really makes you count your blessings! Thanks for linking up again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my page and am more grateful for your comment. Be blessed.