Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Not so GLEE ful.

By now, everyone has heard about the tragic death of Cory Monteith a mere 3 days ago.  My reaction, being that of a non celebrity influence, felt like I had been punched in the stomach repeatedly. Let me explain.

This post is about to get real based on the passing of Finn Hudson, aka Cory. Please don't read this as I am some kind of an obsessed fan.  That is not me whatsoever. I am one of the millions of Gleek fans that like most of the world are simply shocked by this news. Cory was one of my absolute favorite characters on Glee and it just feels like since I woke up Sunday morning to find out that he had passed away, that I lost a dear friend. Now since we found out that he had a drug problem, that's not up to me to judge because at the end of the day, he was a human being that just happened to make a fatal mistake.

I think the reason that this passing of Cory has hit me harder than I thought is that when I found out Sunday morning like the rest of the world, I cried. I truly felt like a friend was lost and one of the best. I'm proud to say that I've watched GLEE since the beginning because this show has impacted my life.

Allow me to explain and share a part of my past. When I grew up, even in elementary school, I was bullied. I did not look like the other girls in my class. I was taller, and by the 4th grade I was the only girl that I knew of that developed quite prematurely --- in 4th grade. I have never been a popular girl and I will not lie to you --- I struggled with that for a longer time than anyone would ever want to admit. I didn't have sky high confidence like I told myself I did. That being said. -- Shows like GLEE, Movies like The Princess Diaries were written for girls like me. They gave me motivation, inspiration and encouragement when I needed it most.  People disagree with me when I say this but Taylor Swift's earlier songs were ones I wish I had been able to write and ones that I relate to most because that's what I dealt with and faced alot.

I realize that when GLEE appeared on our TV's in 2009, I was 23. You might be thinking that's kind of older to be struggling with self confidence issues. I will say that I greatly appreciated the stories and the songs that the show has continued to share. The big reason that GLEE and this whole passing of Cory has pulled on my heart strings is that this show roots for the underdog just like that of The Princess Diaries. Characters from both were almost non-existent to the world around them but to that character having an opportunity be thrown to them where they can showcase their talents and finally be recognized for the true rockstars we've known they were this whole time --- THAT is why I appreciate GLEE so much.

Especially in a society where kids are having to grow up so much faster than when I was growing up. Kids these days who are 5 today, feel like with the media pressures from every angle may as well dress, talk, act like they're 18 tomorrow. Shows like GLEE are perfect for every young kid because of the underlying messages that kids need to understand with their own eyes and ears. *DISCLAIMER: Not every scene or relationship on this show is appropriate for all ages of children.*

With all of this said -- take a moment to hug everyone around you a little tighter today. You never know when your moment will come. #carpediem

&& lastly, I will miss you Finn this fall. Thank you for 4 wonderful seasons of GLEE where you taught us all to have faith in ourselves and faith in each other in spite of what makes us different.. #RIPCoryMonteith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my page and am more grateful for your comment. Be blessed.