Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Million dollar winner.

Remember in high school, or on a rainy day, you'd entertain the thought of 'What would I do with an (extra) million dollars? See, I've expanded on that thought today actually at work. If you don't win the lottery and you don't have an inheritance, how exactly do you encounter this million dollars exactly? Is it a check, or piles of twenties in a briefcase at a specific location? Do you know who is gifting you this rather large amount? As a woman who questions alot in her normal everyday life, no one could be surprised that when given this unexpected gift that I'd just take it. After all, there are so many creepers in the world who make even the slightest random acts of kindness aawwkward to the max.

But let's just go with it. If I were to stumble upon a briefcase of piles of twenties in the mall, on a Thursday @10am by a mysterious man in a suit. -- here is how I'd use it. Not to be boring but I have to consider two different scenarios. The first one being that I am still indebted to my student loans and basically my current circumstances.

First, after taxes, I'd take what I need and pay off three HUGE loans: both mine & my hubs' student loan debts in FULL. (Would love to watch SallieMae process this payment). & then my entire mortgage paid off in FULL too. -- gotta be responsible & honestly I am ready to pay these all off.

Secondly, I'd trade our car in and then purchase a 2014 Chevy Volt for myself. My husband is holding out for the self driving cars and I'd put the x amount in a savings account for him to buy the car he wants at the right time.

Thirdly, I'd pay for my own kitchen remodel. I've got my eye on a few things that I wish had come with my house originally but are on the 'house' bucket list so to speak.

Lastly, I'd put a chunk in our savings and the biggest chunk in my IRA. :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Now. the other scenario if I were to stumble upon this money in about 9 years when my student debt is paid off.

It'd be a shorter list. By this time, we'd have kids & ready to celebrate our first big anniversary, the 10th (close to it).

So I think it'd only be right if I helped us not only pay for the trip but with generous souvenir budgets.

Secondly, I'd pay off our mortgage in full & take care of any fix-it project regardless of the cost.

Thirdly, I'd take a look at what we're driving. Still want a Chevy Volt, its pricey but oh so worth it. ;)

Lastly, I'd split it between investing in my house, my savings and my IRA.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah -- I don't foresee a million dollars showing up on my porch. & even if I did, I don't feel spending it on a lavish lifestyle is worth it. I hear people all the time commenting that if they got rich, they'd retire. I'd be in a new tax bracket or five, but I grew up having to earn what I wanted. Even if I was given something, that made me want to work for it that much harder. I feel that if I were in this situation, I'd just keep working. It'd be nice to know that if anything drastic happened, I'd have a cushion but its a time old truth -- Money doesn't buy your happiness. It's up to YOU! :)

{jess}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my page and am more grateful for your comment. Be blessed.